Wednesday 15 January 2014

AARON J. SMITH'S 'BEST OF 2013'





For me, 2013 was a great year for film because I connected with films from a great variety of genres, and not just my movie mainstays, horror and superhero flicks. Getting out to the cinema was also made easier with the renovation and extension of the Dendy Newtown. So many more films to choose from, and new, comfortable seating!

In a year when the quality of television increased to compete for my viewing time, film still came out on top. Still, viral marketing often proved to be more interesting than the film it was meant to be promoting: that telekinetic 'woman in the café' stunt used to promote the Carrie remake was all kinds of amazing.

I've come up with a list of 20 films that rocked my year. I’ve also included a few that deeply disappointed me, a few that I sadly missed out on seeing (but hope to catch on DVD), and some upcoming releases that can’t come soon enough.

1. Iron Man 3

The boldest of the Marvel superhero films was unpredictable and daring. Topping my list for the tireless repeat viewings since seeing it in the cinema, and for featuring my favourite action scene ever – the barrel of monkeys rescue sequence.

2. 009 Re: Cyborg

A re-boot of sorts, I caught this gem at the Real Anime Festival and was exhilarated and impressed with the action, amazing use of 3D, and the themes it tackled.

3. An Adventure In Space And Time

Including this BBC television movie might be bending the rules slightly seeing as it didn’t get a cinema release, but the quality and enjoyment factor makes it a contender. A very special way to celebrate the 50th anniversary of my favourite science fiction show (Doctor Who, of course).

4. Mud

5. The Conjuring

6. Rust And Bone

7. Behind The Candelabra

8. The Wolverine (the extended mature cut)

9. Pacific Rim

10. Machete Kills

11. Sinister

12. A Band Called Death

13. Stoker

14. The Way, Way Back

15. Cloud Atlas

16. Silver Linings Playbook

17. John Dies At The End

18. Gravity

19. Evil Dead

20. Return to Nuke ‘Em High Part 1.


Disappointments: Man Of Steel, The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug, What Maisie Knew, 100 Bloody Acres, Interior. Leather Bar, Oz: The Great And Powerful, Star Trek Into Darkness.

Missed opportunities: Stories We Tell, Upstream Colour, The Rocket.

My most anticipated releases for 2014: X-Men: Days Of Future Past, Guardians Of The Galaxy, Interstellar, The Raid 2: Berandal, The Human Centipede III (Final Sequence).

No comments:

Post a Comment